A brief history of St Anthony's Church.

The building of the chapel in Balfron began around 1867, when it was described as being 'in an advanced state'. Prior to that, the small group of Catholics had held their services in the old weaver's shop at the top of the village. These services had begun at the time of industrialisation, when new mill workers had come into the village.The arrival of pipeline workers, many from Ireland, swelled the community during the construction of the aqueduct from Loch Katrine to Glasgow, leading to a demand for a more permanent place of worship.A small parcel of land was purchased in Dunmore Street, then called Laigh Road, by Mrs Cooper, the wife of the owner of Ballindalloch. She was, herself, an Irish Catholic from County Wexford. You can read more about her contribution here>>>Fr.F.X. Hog reported the chapel as being "in a forward state" in 1867, the year of its opening. J Guthrie Smith's "Strathendrick" mentions that a 'very neat little chapel' was complete thanks to 'the zeal of a member of the congregation (Mrs Cooper) and other benefactors, some of whose crests and arms were included in the design of the stained glass windows' (although only one exists today).St Anthony's was then served by Fr. Hog as part of the Milngavie Mission but was returned to the care of the Diocese of St.Andrews and Edinburgh by 1889, when it was and served again from Lennoxtown. From then on it came under the auspices of Blanefield, Balfron itself, Lennoxtown, Stirling and even St.Patrick's Buchlyvie until returning to its historical roots of sharing a priest - Father Liam Hattie - with Blanefield, although St.Anthony's is now a parish in its own right.






St Anthony's is a Parish of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, 
a Charity registered in Scotland - number SC008540
© St Anthony's, Balfron 2012  
Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookie Policy | Charity Number: SC008540